[ExI] Flagrant Self-Promotion #2: UNCLE BONES

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jun 9 02:37:55 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Flagrant Self-Promotion #2: UNCLE BONES
>
> At 06:09 PM 6/8/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:
>
> >Excellent work, Dr. Broderick!
>
> Thank you, sir! I like that story myself. :)
>
> Damien Broderick

Here's how one can determine the quality of a story, sf or otherwise: how
long the characters stay in one's memory.  It has been over thirty years
since I read Lord of the Flies, but I still easily recall Piggy, Simon,
Ralph, SamnEric, etc.  The Magi has characters like that, especially Father
Raphael Silverman and Dr. Martin Herbert Baldwin for instance.  Baldwin was
ambiguously perfectly evil, perfectly saintly, wildly insane or all of the
above somehow simultaneously, yet what he did was perfectly logical given
the basic assumptions of his religious beliefs.

I hope we get enough readers here to get a good Magi discussion going here,
and if not here, create a focused literature group to discuss cool stories
like that.