[ExI] [Robotgroup] Alternative human keyboard interfaces

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:06:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Harvey Newstrom<mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> The second idea that might help you from this, is that they never used the
> special characters you speak of.  They chorded out words for everything.
> (This was because all testimony in court was verbal.)  So if someone said
> "question-mark", they would actually punch the chords for the syllables KWES-
> CHUN-MARK.  This would be three chords that are no more difficult than the other
> syllables.  I could see spelling out code using words, as I have done before
> in verbal discussions with coders.
>
>   if [ i = 1 ] ; then echo "one!" ; fi
>
> becomes
>
>   IF-LEFT-BRAK-ET-EYE-EQUALS-ONE-RITE-BRAK-ET-SEM-EYE-COH-LUN-THEN-EK-OH-
> QUOTE-WUN-BANG-QUOTE-SEM-EYE-COH-LUN-FEE

How many key presses is that, again? Is it one per syllable? By "one"
I mean one set of keys being pressed at a single moment. And if so,
then that makes me wonder since typing out that entire line isn't
going to be too fun or ideal. I feel a quick script coming on .. ;-)

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507