[ExI] Dangers of coffee and black tea??

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Jun 9 14:43:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Adam Raizen wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 05:26, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Drink it down with new Choxi+, milk chocolate with "extra
> > antioxidants". "Guilt free," says the Daily Mail, it's "the chocolate
> > bar that's 'healthier' than 5lbs of apples". "Too good to be true,"
> > says the Mirror. "Chocolate that is good for you, as well as
> > seductive," says the Telegraph. The Choxi+ manufacturers recommend two
> > pieces of their chocolate every day. It's almost as good as Fruitella
> > Plus, with added vitamins A, C, E and calcium.

If it sounds too good to be true, then maybe it is false. Or maybe I have
allergy for phrases like "caloric" or "guilt free" (if I wanted to free
myself from some "guilt", I would not need to pay money for this). The
fact that they put some extra stuff into their product does not give
guarantee on your body assimilating all of this.

> Chocolate may have some health benefits, but sugar and milk fat definitely
> negate any benefits it may have. You can make good hot chocolate with
> unsweetened baking cocoa, hot water, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, and
> artificial sweetener, and thereby avoid those problems.

After reading ("there" and "over there") some mixed opinions about
artificial sweeteners I have decided to either not have it sweet or eat
plain old sugar if I wanted some fun in my mouth. Since there is so much
money pumped in, even if a-sweeteners are actually not so nice we may
never know (I remember a story of tobacco funded "research"). Besides,
there are still fresh fruits and honey, which are probably the best sweet
thing (to eat).

There are also chocolates with (almost) no sugar, they taste great but I
don't know if they can be obtained in other countries - so far I have only
had the one from Polish "Wawel" (if you would like to talk about it
with a native speaker, spell it like "vah-vell" or he may not understand
what you want). I believe it was this one:

http://www.wawel.com.pl/en/produkty/item/g,1008,p,1076,Dark_7_cocoa.html

and from what this guy wrote, it seems they are available at least in some
places abroad:

http://www.chocablog.com/reviews/wawel-gorzka-krakowska/

Regards
Tomasz Rola