[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

deimtee deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 10 17:05:05 UTC 2009

spike wrote:

> [...]
If it supported itself though lifting gasses rather than inflated
pressure, you could
have a low stress structure.
I would think a long tethered sectioned  tube, rising at an angle of 15
to 20 degrees, of sufficient
diameter that you can sling a linear motor  underneath and still have
sufficient tension
on the tether cables to keep everything straight.
This should give you over 100 km of  accelerator length.   If you pull 5
gees for that
long you should be up around 3 to 4 km/sec.
I haven't  done the math for it but I think that would be enough for
Keith's pop-up-and-push
launches.  Certainly it would get you high enough to use a small
efficient motor to circularize
the orbit.
Given the height and volume I think you would need to use hydrogen as
the lifting gas.

If you started on top of a fairly high mountain you could drop the angle
of climb, make the tube
much longer and have a higher exit velocity, while still keeping most of
the travel up in the rarified air.

Spike, regarding your idea of pressurizing to 20 times atmospheric in a
vertical tube, air has a mass
of ~1kg/m3 at  STP.  The mass of your column of gas is going to be (very
roughly) 75 million tonnes,
with a footprint of over 100 tonne/m2.
I don't want to be near that balloon if it bursts.  :)

-David