[ExI] aspartame done me wrong

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jun 11 03:33:14 UTC 2009

>As far as I know, aspartame is most widely used (it is - or was - part of
>some dietetic drinks). Sometimes under different names. So I think it is
>possible, that its availability might have been a factor in its perceived
>harmful effects.

I took it in my tea and on cereals as a sweetener for years, and
simultaneously had an increasing incidence of... well, feeling like
shit. Dizzy, slightly nauseated, nothing you could put your finger
on, increasingly intolerable. One day Barbara told me she'd read that
aspartame had some deleterious side effects. I scoffed. What? I've
been using this stuff for years! Yeah, and--? So on a venture I
stopped using it. Within a couple of days, the evil shit went away.
Unbelievable. And while I still feel crappy from time to time, it's
not *every bloody day*. I could try taking it again for a couple of
months to cross-check, but I'd rather not. (The cyanide experiment
put me off that.) (Just kidding.)

Damien Broderick