[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 11 14:19:53 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of
> Damien Broderick
> ...So to visualize the
> >tower, imagine placing the pencils adjacent in a ring about
> five meters
> >across,
>
> So it's a conical shell...

Ja thanks, that is how I should have described it.

> What's in the middle? Just air?

Ja, unless we want to use the space for something.  I can think of uses for
the space, internal structure and so forth, but the concept doesn't require
anything in there.

>Does this shell or Tower of Spikel "breathe"?...

My intuition would say it does, but it isn't critical

> Can you use lighter
> buckystuff instead of steel (assuming it's available)?
>
> Damien Broderick

Ja.  I had in mind using steel because of its abundance and cheapity.  If
some lighter material comes available, we would use that stuff to make our
cars, and melt down the existing cars to make inflatable bricks.