[ExI] What is their actual creed?/was Re: Deuteronomy Chapter 13

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 16:47:45 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 6/11/09, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/11 painlord2k at libero.it
> <painlord2k at libero.it>:
>> Could you tell us how many Christians support or
>> condone or are neutral
>> with the actions of the Christian killers of abortion
>> doctors?
>
> A fascinating question, which brings to mind a few other:
> how many
> Christians support or condone or are neutral with the
> non-observance
> of Holy Friday fasting? How many Christians support or
> condone or are
> neutral with use of the Pill?
>
> We can assume that in every family many do not really
> believe in what
> they say, so what? Does it make the tenets of their creed
> any better?

All of this depends on what you mean by the particular creed.  I offered up earlier that maybe accepting the Nicene Creed defined someone as Christian.  The Nicene Creed is silent on observing fasts, birth control (and the Biblical textual support here is a bit thin too, IIRC), and many other things that people interpret as being essential to being a Christian.  So, how does one determine what's part of the Christian creed?  And once you've done that, how do you determine how this creed is interpreted and applied?  Without at least trying you really can't say whether this or that view is inconsistent with Christianity.  (The same applies, of course, to Judaism and Islam.)

Regards,

Dan