[ExI] gimps again

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 12 20:48:32 UTC 2009

Consider this graph.  I lost the axis labels in the cut and paste, but the
horizontal axis is the order number of the Mersenne prime, 1 thru 47.  The
vertical axis is the log of the exponent divided by log(2), so that we would
expect the primes to appear on the line shown.  They did follow the expected
(but still unexplained) pattern for all of human history.  Now for the past
five years, they decided to start showing up in baffling abundance.  See the
last eight (and definitely the last five) on the chart below.  We had a gap
big enough for seven MPs, which contained only two.  Now we have a gap big
enough for two MPs, and it is crammed with eight.  Whaaaat in the helllllll
is going on here?