[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Sat Jun 13 21:47:34 UTC 2009

Il 12/06/2009 22.06, spike ha scritto:

> Ja, the problem with an open foam structure is that the stress is too
> difficult to analyse everywhere.  We need to optimize the disign so that all
> the material is stressed about the same everywhere.
>
> Regarding an open Fuller design (to allow the wind to blow thru the
> structure) has some promise, if the intention is to make a support structure
> for a linear launcher.

Instead of a linear launcher or a rocket, why don't use the tower as an
upper platform for a skyhook?
The centre of mass of the skyhook would be 1.000 or 10.000 km higher
than the tower top but the hook could rotate one time every day, so it
would appear to fall from the sky and go up.
Ion engines could continuously keep the skyhook at its right position
and make up for the loss of energy and speed.

How much would be spared using the tower as a dock-undock point for a
skyhook or another tether or a space elevator?

Mirco