[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 20:36:41 UTC 2009

Tom wrote:
Sorry to up the pedantry quotient of this list even further, but in THS the
only operational space elevator is on Mars, hooked up to Deimos, with the
flexible cable bending slowly to dodge Phobos. The Earth elevator, due to
come down on the south side of Mount Kenya, is due to be completed shortly
in the face of opposition from conservationists, Kenyans opposed to defacing
a national monument, and business & political rivals. This, like in many
good settings, is so you can have dramatic situations set up in an exotic
location with colossal stakes to play for.

Well..., I liked it better the way I recalled it, with space elevators as
common as international airports!  Oh, and lots and lots of sexy cat
women...

John  : )