[ExI] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 19:37:32 UTC 2009

A little more on anti-essentialism and its problems. This chunk from
my book comes after a longer discussion of sociologist of knowledge
Barry Barnes (1983):

           Knowledge in Context

Barnes proceeds to several implications: *delocalisation* (to know a
goose, it also helps to know a swan); hence, there are no
free-floating `atomic' concepts (p. 29); the application of a term is
a judgment, as we have noted, since `the tension of a term represents
a conventional relationship of sameness between the instances within
it', and this can always be revised (pp. 30 1); proper usage is
*agreed usage*, so that a creature might be at one time deemed a
moth, at another a butterfly: `Cases such as these are sometimes
thought to result from an inadequate knowledge of the "real meanings"
of terms themselves; and occasionally the achievement of consensus in
these cases is conceived as a "discovery" of the "real meaning". But
such consensus merely marks the successful negotiation of an
extension of usage'; and *equivalence*, which is to say that
`different Hesse nets are always equivalent' (p. 33), since
`"Reality" does not mind how we cluster it; "reality" is simply the
massively complex array of unverbalized information which we cluster.
This suggests that different nets stand equivalently in relation to
"reality" or to the physical environment', and also `as far as the
possibility of "rational justification" is concerned'(p. 33, his
emphasis). In short, `alternative classifications are *conventions*
between which neither "reality" nor "pure reason" can discriminate.
Accepted systems of classification are *institutions* which are
socially sustained. (p. 33, his emphasis)'
           In my own view, this strong relativist position is surely
inconsistent with an implacable universe warranting ostension. [That
is, you can point to something as you name it.] Barnes offers in
support of his case the instance of Karam animal taxonomy, which
places cassowaries (a kind of flightless bird) in the special taxon
kobtiy, outside that of flying beasts like other birds and bats (pp
34 37), and compares that categorisation with the zoological taxonomy
used in an advanced industrial Hesse net:

           "How can the pattern of either net distort reality?
Rather, reality provides the information incorporated in both nets;
it has no preference for the one or the other." (p. 35)

However bracing this might be as a corrective to imperialistic
anthropology, it is nonsense if taken literally. DNA sequences, for
example, are not `randomly' or `purely culturally' associated with
the genomes of each taxa, but contain clear natural-historical
markers endorsing the phylogenetic claims of one over the other--that
is, the history of their natural selection. (These deep links might
be of no interest or use to humans, of course, and for most of
history they have been altogether inaccessible, but they remain coded
as the DNA `text' or `recipe': an almost indelible inscription).
           Animals and plants, whose phenotypes are the expression of
the interaction between environment and coded genotype, are the
`naturally-chunked' perceptual fields, or `natural kinds', which
humans are prone to tag with lexemes (whatever further totemic or
commercial significance they may be given). This perspective--that
human language, prior to the legitimate claims of cultural
relativity, is founded in its capacity for adaptation to an
indefinitely complex interacting universe--gives the lie to Barnes's
easy assertion: `"Reality" does not mind how we cluster it.' Reality
might not mind, but finding the correct clustering certainly matters.
           The relativist view has been canvassed by John Dean, who
found within our own botanical science two rival taxonomies for the
plant Gilia inconspicua, and noted that both `are built upon
perceptible, systematizable, stable distinctions between individual
plants. In this sense the natural order sustains both taxonomies;
neither can be said to be erroneous' (Dean, 1979, p. 226; see
especially his taxonomic discussion, pp. 211-28). This view does not
convince me that `reality does not mind how we classify it'; it
simply reminds us that the reality we notate on our low-dimensional
grids is multidimensional. Reality is not, however, utterly or even
very indeterminate: it would be very strange to classify Gilia
inconspicua as a variety of possum or igneous rock, or to attempt to
breed it in the wild with an elephant. True, one might throw it in
with anything imaginable for, say, totemic purposes, but that is a
different point entirely. Ironically, the arch-conventionalist Pierre
Duhem looked to the emergence of naturally-chunked classification:
`The more a theory is perfected, the more we apprehend that the
logical order in which it arranges experimental laws is the
reflection of an ontological order' (cited Lakatos, 1978, p. 21).
           Taken together, these converging models from artificial
intelligence research and the sociology of scientific knowledge offer
a useful springboard to the further examination of semiosis: the ways
in which humans recognise, construct and manipulate logics and
contexts in the service of signification.

[etc etc. Maybe I should put this whole damned book up on the web,
even if it is somewhat out of date now...]