[ExI] BYU's 'Cloak Boy'

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 05:40:18 UTC 2009

  BYU's 'Cloak Boy' — Student surprised by support after some objections
(and police involvement) to his folk singing...  The link is below.
 *Comments about the article:*
*bookgirl* | 8:30 a.m. March 26, 2008

I knew "Cloak Boy's" parents at BYU. His father wore a cloak and carried a
staff. We thought it was odd as well, but those of us who knew Jonathan and
Laurel found them creative, highly productive, nonconventional, and true to
themselves and the Gospel. No one, to my knowledge bothered him, unless they
themselves were unstable.These very creative, interesting people loved
science fiction, writing and math. They married, currently teach at the
University of Wisconsin, and taught their love of difference and personal
expression to their family. Nothing wrong here, just different. If the worst
thing Nathan does is sing and wear a cloak then remember D&C 25:12 and if
you know the song maybe join in. And Nathan if you read this say hello to
your parents from Terry and MeLinda.
 *Lasertrac* | 8:44 a.m. March 26, 2008

The latest episode at BYU is indicitive of a larger problem that exists in
the LDS Church. A mental disability among certain "well meaning" control
freak members dead set against anything or anyone who doesn't fit the
"mold". BYU hasn't changed a bit since I went there nearly 20 years ago. Spy
Stasti who report anomymous tips about individuals who might dare bring the
bursting of the bubble in Utah County. I suppose the jailers guarding the
Prophet Joseph thought him mad when he and others sang hymnals while
imprisoned. What have we become as a people when such innocent acts are even
worthy of news or the investigation by campus police? There are those in the
church who are quickly becoming like the Nephites of old supposing they were
righteous when in reality their sins were greater than those they judged.
 * Interesting | 9:00 a.m. March 26, 2008

I find it interesting and quite telling that so many of the LDS faith scream
for acceptance by the rest of society, but when a person dresses differently
or has the audacity to sing in public that he's branded a freak, weirdo or a
joke. These comments just prove the point that BYU is nothing more than the
LDS church's answer to the Stepford Wives. Cookie cutter people, no
individuality or you'll be the butt of the jokes. Nice.*
*John Robert Mallernee* | 9:04 a.m. March 26, 2008

I just now thought of something.

This kid is a math geek?

Then, LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!

We desperately NEED more math geeks!

There ain't enough of 'em.

Let him grow his hair long, wear a cloak, and sing his heart out.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695264687/BYUs-Cloak-Boy--Student-surprised-by-support-after-some-objections-to-his-folk-singing.html

John