[ExI] Healthcare and governments thinking long range

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:44:25 UTC 2009

2009/6/24 Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>

> ### Read "The state is very powerful, and whoever influences it, will
> force their will to the detriment of others". Still love the
> government?

No, I hate the government. But worse than government is unfettered
private corporations who could ultimately enslave me.

> > Would the "compulsory savings from payroll deductions" count as a tax?
>
> ### No. Savings are yours, whether voluntary or not, as long as *you*
> get to use them, on yourself.

But if the savings are compulsory, kept in trust by the government,
have to be used only for particular purposes, can't be cashed in
whenever you feel like it, and so on, then it is just like a tax. The
alternative of just letting people keep the money means having no
public health system at all, and the Singaporean government (Lee Kuan
Yew, in effect) did not see this as a good idea.

--
Stathis Papaioannou