[ExI] left on iran

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 21:13:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM, spike<spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> How about 48% rather than 62%?  Would it still be hypocrisy then?  We don't
> know who won that election.

When ever do we?

The most we can expect is that some kind or another of Supreme Court
to clarify the issue when in doubt. :-)

>They announced the outcome before they could
> have counted and compiled the results.

Yes, this was done in fact done by Moussavi, out of misinformation, or
of a wish to unleash reactions where the expected results would be
made public.

In fact, I trust his pre-election judgment that he did not stand a
chance, even though a part of the conservative Khomeinist old guard
has supported him our of annoyance for a perceived excessive
independence and popularity of Amahdinejad, apparently,

> But clearly we have seen the end of
> democracy in Iran, as they race to get nuclear weapons.

So, we can safely assume that we see the end of democracy in a country
then they decide to get nuclear weapons? Interesting stance, for a US
citizen...

> We have seen the
> US, Britain and Israel accused of meddling, but I have my doubts about that.

Sure. Why should they do such a thing, when they are in such good
terms with the government in place? :-)

> But I am not ready to give up the notion
> of countable and verifiable elections.

I wonder whether you are ready to accept the results thereof whatever
they may be. I respect Mirko's position when he maintains that
legality is not the same of legitimacy, and I am myself perplexed in
this respect, because it may well happen that somewhere, including in
my country, rather unpleasant political forces may get to power
through perfectly democratic procedures;  but the real point is that
elections in Iran were irrelevant for *both* factions. Meaning
internal and international factions.

--
Stefano Vaj