[ExI] Non-commie Aussies

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 00:03:41 UTC 2009

2009/6/28 Max More <max at maxmore.com>:
> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>>
>> Indeed: and that ranking is consistent with an extensive public health and
>> social security system, and financial regulations which since the GFC have
>> resulted in half of the remaining eight AA rated banks in the world being
>> Australian.
>
> If you really want to know what's consistent with the ranking and what's
> not, take a look at the factors described in the methodology:
>
> http://www.heritage.org/Index/pdf/Index09_Methodology.pdf

I see that government regulation of financial institutions is a
negative. High government expenditure is also a negative, although
they make the following point:

"Some level of government expenditures represents true public goods,
implying an ideal level
greater than zero. However, identifying that ideal level seems too
arbitrary, static, and difficult
to apply universally. For these reasons, the methodology treats zero
government spending as the
benchmark. Moreover, governments that have no public goods will be
penalized by lower scores
in the other factors (such as property rights and financial freedom)."

--
Stathis Papaioannou