[ExI] Non-commie Aussies

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:42:23 UTC 2009

Interesting numbers! Who knows how reliable they are, but let's assume
they mean something. Fun, and a very smooth site.

The US beats Australia in most of those metrics; some large
differences let Australia pull in front.

The largest is in freedom from corruption. That's a surprise to me!
But it makes some sense I guess. I don't remember ever really being
confronted with instances of corruption in our government in my
personal life, excepting maybe whispers here and there regarding
government contracts with private enterprise and such, but nothing
more than idle gossip as far as I can tell. Aussies are extremely
intolerant of nepotism in fact, I think.

(Incidentally, I was just thinking yesterday about how odd the US
political system is, in allowing massive private donations to
politicians, and of course now requiring the same, based on a
financial arms race and the cost of TV spots. I'd ban private
donations for the most part, and have a public money system replace it
at a much smaller scale, we've got something like that here, I don't
know the details though)

The other large one is more financial freedom, I don't really
understand that one but then I have no money :-)

The smaller but surprising factor is the one rating Aussies as having
smaller government.

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related