[ExI] Effectiveness of democracy as a result of selection bias

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 04:46:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Stefano Vaj<stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> The fact is that I like the idea of popular sovereignty and of
> collective self-determination *per se*, not as the method supposedly
> delivering the best results in utilitarian terms.

### Well, I really dislike the idea of random jerks usurping the right
to control my life as they collectively see fit. Do you honestly see
yourself as somebody worthy of lording it over other people, telling
them what they must do, shoving your decisions down their collective
throat ... or else?

There was a time I felt I had the right to do that, now I am mostly
ashamed and perplexed - how could I have been such an asshole? I am a
free man, and I do not despoil my dignity by having designs on the
liberty of others.

But, YMMV.

-----------------
> From a libertarian POV, democracy is at best a tool, since at the end
> of the day they would not be too bothered by the establishment of a
> single, homogenous society, as long as individuals can still "diverge"
> to an extent and take decisions regarding their private life. Or such
> outcome might even be required, since only one objectively "free" and
> "just" model of society would exist.
>
> To me, it is even more important, and a best bet for transhumanism,
> that plural and diverse societies and cultures and legal systems go on
> existing and flourishing and competing amongst them.

### From my point of view, democracy is a crappy tool, to be used only
until enough people grow up and are capable of making a better
society.

Rafal