[ExI] Effectiveness of democracy as a result of selection bias

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:51:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Rafal
Smigrodzki<rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> ..., I really dislike the idea of random jerks usurping the right
> to control my life as they collectively see fit. ...

Indeed, this seems the problem.  Everybody gets to vote, and the
losers have to suck it up.

I agree with Rafal here.

If a culture is nearly homogeneous, and the choices are only slightly
differing shades of "the" dominant cultural theme, it's far easier for
the losers to deal with the result, because their "loss" is likely
quite small, and so, tolerable  In a diverse culture, however,
particularly one where value differences are stark/polar, the
"minority" group, ie the losers, are more likely to feel like enslaved
victims.  This is a bad deal.  Unjust, unstable, and dangerous.  The
world over we see post-imperial nation states with highly distinct
sub-groups literally at war with one another.  Nation states generally
"control" this by the time-tested application of an even greater level
of violence.  This is neither right nor rational (is that redundant?).

As if that weren't bad enough, political elites use cultural diversity
as a political resource.  They cynically pit one group against another
in order to achieve their own personal political advancement, with
little real concern for the voters.

With cultural diversity, democracy gets corrupted by the elite,
becoming, for the voting masses, a form of self-betrayal.  I have at
long last taken "democracy" down from its pedestal, and out of its
shrine (I store the lawn mower there now) and put it over by the
corner of the garage next to the rest of the junk waiting to be taken
to the dump.  Occasionally I look at it and wonder if I should throw
it out, fix it, or turn it in for a new model.  As I now live 6 mo in
Canada and 6 mo in Baja, I guess you could say I've chosen the last.

                                 < slight snippage>

>...I am a  free man, and I do not despoil my dignity by having
>  designs on the liberty of others.

Here, here!  Added to my sig file.  A bit pissy, but ain't that the point!

                                        <snip>

> From my point of view, democracy is a crappy tool, to be used only
> until enough people grow up and are capable of making a better
> society.

Another one for the sig file.

Best, Jeff Davis

          "I am a  free man, and I do not despoil my dignity
                   by having designs on the liberty of others."
                                          Rafal Smigrodski