[ExI] Extropy behavior

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 01:01:19 UTC 2009

2009/3/5 Joseph Bloch <seculartranshumanist at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, you could transmit various diseases by the up-close act of
>> hugging.  And so the Japanese version of this will have the huggers wearing
>> medical face masks! lol
>
> And indeed, some "divine hug" faith-healing whackaloon managed to cause a
> measles epidemic in Australia recently by just such a method.
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Measles-outbreak-linked-to-Amma-faithful/2006/05/05/1146335903781.html
>
> Joseph

Strictly, the problem is not measles, but stupidity about vaccination
(ie: not eradicating the disease entirely). I will make the intolerant
observation that the woo subculture, who are attracted to things like
spiritual leaders and divine hugs, also tend to be anti-vaccination.

When my oldest daughter was very young, she was in a private school
with a high woo factor (way too high, going there was a mistake). They
had running problems with whooping cough. Really! A word to the wise:
do not send your kids to child care / school where lots of the parents
don't believe in immunization.

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related