[ExI] What is Grace?

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Mon Mar 9 07:34:23 UTC 2009

Waves of nausea.  That is what I experience whenever I hear that song.

Just look at the lyrics; about being a "wretch".  Being able to see not
because of critical rational inquiry but because of some superstitious
thing called "grace"; what a nauseating idea.

And lines like this:
"T'was grace that taught my heart to fear
  And grace my fears reliev'd
 How precious did that grace appear,
  The hour I first believ'd"
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.rbc.pre.79197/enlarge.html?page=94&section=&size=1024&from=contactsheet

Just think about those lyrics.  Those lyrics express an idea which is
total crap.

Now I realize that there is a historical link between the song and the
anti-slavery movement however that does not make the lyrics of the song
any less repulsive and vile.

Fred