[ExI] What is Grace?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:48:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I realize you are a European, but still, you associate the U.S. involvement
>>> with Iraq and Afghanistan as being on par with the Nazi SS atrocities of
>>> WW2???  I would say that is REALLY pushing it.
>
> I take a much less moralising attitude, but I am always surprised how
> Americans always expect to be judged by different meters and
> parameters, whatever they do, from everybody else.
>
> How should one who is bombed, vanquished and invaded  should rejoice
> and welcome the army of occupation as some sort of eschatological
> messiahs?

Ooh boy. Well, first, I don't think anyone here said we were worthy of
great praise for our intervention in Iraq, just that we weren't nearly
as bad as the Nazis. Secondly, even though I certainly don't support
my government's actions there, I can easily imagine that some people,
some Iraqis included, might see it as a liberating action rather than
an outright takeover. At least they might if we ever manage to
relinquish control and extricate ourselves.

-Dave