[ExI] israelis defeat physics

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 13 03:48:41 UTC 2009

"And what did he tell you about how his weapons of mass destruction had been
destroyed?" Pelley asks.

"He told me that most of the WMD had been destroyed by the U.N. inspectors
in the '90s. And those that hadn't been destroyed by the inspectors were
unilaterally destroyed by Iraq," Piro says.

"So why keep the secret? Why put your nation at risk, why put your own life
at risk to maintain this charade?" Pelley asks.

"It was very important for him to project that because that was what kept
him, in his mind, in power. That capability kept the Iranians away. It kept
them from reinvading Iraq," Piro says.

Before his wars with America, Saddam had fought a ruinous eight year war
with Iran and it was Iran he still feared the most.

"He believed that he couldn't survive without the perception that he had
weapons of mass destruction?" Pelley asks.

"Absolutely," Piro says.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/24/60minutes/main3749494_page4.shtml

> > That is why Saddam
> > tried to convince the world that he had nukes, so that it
> >would scare Iran  away from attacking.
>
> So let me get this straight:The aformentioned unsourced
> fantastical assertion of a looming-in-2002 war between Iran
> and Iraq, has Iran in the aggressor's role?  Source it, bro...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/24/60minutes/main3749494_page4.shtml

I do find curious Piro's comment "That capability kept the Iranians away. It
kept them from reinvading Iraq..."  As I recall it was Iraq that invaded
Iran in 1980, not the other way around.

> Otherwise it has to be filed as the fever dream of a
> fact-indifferent neo-con Iran basher...

Or the fever dream of George Tenet, the fact-indifferent neo-con basher.
Actually Tenet is an odd mixture of neo-con basher, Clinton basher and
praiser (in that order), occasional self basher, Bush 43 faint praiser and
basher (in that order), but in agreement with Piro.  Make of his book
whatever you will.  I found it interesting but don't recommend it.  I don't
have Tenet's book in soft copy, so it is much more difficult to give