[ExI] Wars was defeat physics

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sat Mar 14 06:32:14 UTC 2009

At 10:25 PM 3/13/2009, you wrote:

> [...]

You might be right, but I make the case that the ultimate causative
factor is the average population perception of a bleak future.  You
might recall that simpler theories are to be preferred to more complex ones.

>I agree the rising population or reducing
>resources leads to war, but we have a whole mess of other stuff that comes
>into play as well, such as written history of past grievances.  This is
>especially true if the written history is considered sacred writings, and
>includes specific instructions regarding how the believer should deal with
>non-believers.

That's certainly true.  But the point of the theory is that *some*
xenophobic meme or meme set will come to dominate thinking if there
is to be a war.  I view religions (between wars) as seed xenophobic
memes.  They are not acted on unless the population sees hard times
a-coming.  There may be a genetic advantage to being able to keep
seed xenophobic memes going in your local population.

>Iran has population growth under control and is Persian.  These are good and
>promising factors in their favor, yet they are ruled by an apparent madman,
>which is bad.

Yeah, but it is interesting that the madman's pronouncements about
raising the birth rate had zero effect on the Iranian women.

>If nukes are not fired in anger in the next decade I will be
>most pleasantly surprised.

Especially since in a totally pissed off state I reduced the
difficulty of making nukes by an order of magnitude or more.

Keith