[ExI] whose fatwa? what ruler?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:18:31 UTC 2009

On 3/15/09, spike wrote:
> Ja I wondered about this.  As far as I can tell, there is no central control
>  mechanism for fatwas, with no offical fatwa website*, no church bishop,
>  cardinal or other biggie required to sign off on them.  Anyone can issue one
>  at any time.  You and I can issue fatwas.  (Heyyy, cool.)  The problem is
>  that anyone can act on it as well.  If I utter a fatwa against [fill in your
>  favorite bad guy], I have no way of knowing some radical Presbyterian might
>  not carry it out fatally (perhaps while shouting jesus akbar) as she slew
>  some hapless prole.

I fear that it might be a slight exaggeration to say that you or I can
issue fatwas.  ;)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwa>

You have to get a four-year degree qualification at a madrassah,
followed by a ten+ year post-graduate course.

The situation is certainly very confusing as there are different
branches of Islam, and fatwa only apply within their own group. Then
there are Muslim state fatwa which become law and 'private' fatwa
which are optional. Some scholars say all fatwa are optional, others
disagree. There can indeed be contradictory fatwa, though scholars do
try to resolve such cases.

All in all, it just sounds too complicated for mere mortals like us.

BillK