[ExI] What is Grace?

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 12:22:35 UTC 2009

Hi Lee,

--- On Sun, 3/15/09, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Gordon wrote
>
>> I think we incarcerate or execute criminals for one or more of
>> the following reasons:
>>
>> 1) retribution (we should make them suffer for what they did)
>> 2) rehabilitation (we should heal them and make them productive
>> citizens)
>> 3) deterrence (we should prevent them from re-offending, and make
>> them an example to others)
>
> Actually there are *four* classic reasons (three begin with
> the letter "R", which does help to remember them). As
> Stefano pointed out, the fourth is
>
>     4) removal

I believe 'removal' falls under 'deterrence' as I defined it above. (I'd like to see a reference to support your claim that removal is a "classic reason" distinct from deterrence, but then you might consider this splitting hairs.)

The real question on my mind (and yours, I think) concerns the role of retribution. Simple removal from mainstream society (by cryonic suspension or by any other means) with no promise of suffering will certainly deter the guilty from re-offending, but it may do little to deter the innocent from offending in the first place. I think it would reduce or eliminate the number of repeat offenders but at a cost of more first-time offenders.

-gts