[ExI] SciFi become Syfy

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 01:05:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM, PJ Manney <pjmanney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will refrain from comment on the grounds that it may incriminate me.
>
> PJ
>
> http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/sci_fi_channel_aims_to_shed_ge.php

SciFi is already broken.  Rebranding themselves away from both science and
fiction to make "dramedies" and "reality TV" is the final nail in SciFi's
coffin.  I think they realized when Ghost Hunters became the highest rated
show in their network's history that they were on a slippery slope.  I
understand, but I have to chuckle at 'SyFy' because it reeks of Idiocracy.
An alternate "SighFi" was considered, but quickly ruled out because test
audiences were uncomfortable with the juxtaposition of "ghf" despite the
more accuately descriptive moniker.