[ExI] What is Grace?

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 12:36:10 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 3/17/09, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

>> I believe 'removal' falls under 'deterrence' as I defined it above.
>
> As someone explained, removal probably should be seen as
> a distinct concept

Perhaps, but see the definition of "deter" in my last post to Stefano. Its meaning includes "to prevent from acting".

>> The real question on my mind (and yours, I think)
>> concerns the role of retribution.
>
> Well, that's a biggie, all right. Though the main point
> on my mind is the continuing injustices perpetrated
> within the prisons, e.g. the commodious lifestyles of
> the incarcerated gang leaders as compared to those they
> intimidate, beat up, and rape.

Violent gang leaders who continue to act badly behind bars often get sent to "Supermax" prisons. According to some, these prisons violate the 8th Amendment's proscription against cruel and unusual punishment.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermax

-gts