[ExI] What is Grace?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:09:41 UTC 2009

On 3/17/09, Gordon Swobe wrote:
>  According to Webster Online:
>  de·ter:   to turn aside, discourage, or prevent from acting
>
>  I use the word in all three senses: to turn aside, to discourage,
>  to prevent from acting.
>
>  But as I mentioned to Lee, it may not deter an innocent from committing a first
> offense, for exactly the reason you cite: it's not much of a threat. Some might
> even view it as a reward.

In the UK, where apparently prisons are not as brutalized as in the
US, prisons do not appear to be much of a deterrent.  As much of the
prison population is mentally sub-normal, socially inadequate, drug
addicts, etc. they just cannot cope with life outside of prison. Many
inmates return to their prison 'home' within days or weeks of their
release.

BillK