[ExI] global warming again

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 05:49:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 02:01 PM 3/15/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:
>
>> It is so puzzling.  What happens if we keep taking measuring and find that
>> the recent climate data indicates the globe is actually cooling?
>
> Or what if the earth is actually flat? Or rhomboid?
>
> Quote from below: "Eleven of the last 12 years (1995-2006) rank among the
> warmest years in global surface temperature since 1850."

### But Damien, of course, if 1998 was very warm, then unless there is
discontinuously massive fast cooling, most of the following 10 or 20
years will still be among the warmest years since whenever (i.e. the
previous local maximum) - even if there is moderate and steady cooling
such as has been observed since 1998. This is just elementary analysis
- values in the neighborhood of a local maximum of a continuous
function close to the maximum. So far for analysis of the recent
historical climate record. As for the rest of the article, it's just
your run of the mill hysteria. Give us something more fleshy to sink
our wacko denier teeth into.

Rafal