[ExI] punishment

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:21:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Gordon wrote (in "What is Grace")
>> Other related societal goals include retribution
>> and rehabilitation. Should we make the guilty suffer?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Should we try to make them better people? Open questions.
>
> Well, the first one wasn't hard, so I'll address the
> second one.
>
> To me, attempting to make true criminals into better
> people exhibits sheer arrogance on our part.

I fully agree.

See also the tale of the Pale Criminal in Thus Spake
Zarathustra<http://philosophy.eserver.org/nietzsche-zarathustra.txt>
.

More modestly, what we can say is that every society attempts to make its
members more functional to its value system and internal working through
punishments and rewards, not to mention a pinch of propaganda during
punishment.

--
Stefano Vaj