[ExI] Power sats and the industrial development of space (was global waming again)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:09:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You are advocating Gerry O'Neill's space colony program.  It didn't
>>> get support back in the 70s and I don't see where things have changed.
>>
>> Not true. Shame on you- didn't you live through that period?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_habitat
>
> I was one of the founders of the L5 Society.

Yes, we are all aware of this.

> And knew Dr. O'Neill very well.

I didn't know that.

> Nothing you have said indicates the idea got support in the 79s, at
> least not in relation to the support required to do anything with it.

Meh, I think 1 out of 10 is not enough to call the entire batch bad.
Let's not argue over a single year- I'm just saying, it's a bit of an
understatement of the other years of his work.

>> btw, for anyone with more knowledge on this, why the hell did he start
>> off looking into a mass driver? wtf? priorities?
>
> It was very reasonable if you grok the physics involved.

I'm not so sure- I think there are other activities you could look
into for space colonization efforts. Arguably, there is always
technology over the horizon.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507