[ExI] [Open Manufacturing] Re: Power sats and the industrial development of space (was global waming again)

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:50:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure be nice to know how much that mini combine would weigh.  Yo,
>> Bryan, care to comment?  What basic tool set would my thousand
>> hamster-sized robots need in order to process the raw materials, build
>> the moon base, and make more bots?  Minimum mass; lunar regolith
>> starting materials;...
>
> That really depends on the context.

Absolutely.  I was a bit coy with you.  The design space --137
practical multivalued replicator design properties which may be
grouped into 12 primary design dimensions in four principal categories
:

http://www.molecularassembler.com/KSRM/Figures/5.5.JPG

presents a challenge that I'm fond of comparing to the Gordian knot.
Remember how Alexander solved that problem?  Took out his sword and
chopped it up.  Refused to be constrained by imposed definitions of
impossibility.  That's the view I've adopted.  Evaluating the design
space for the "best" approach, and then working up a design -- these
are paralyzing pre-conditions.  Screw that.  Go pure ad hoc.  Pick an
approach and go for it.  Let the chips fall where they may.  This is a
winner take all venture.  That's all as in ALL.

As a race to the next stage of industrial production, it can easily
boil down to the first one out of the starting blocks.  Get enough of
a lead before the rest of the world figures out the implications, and
they'll never catch up.  And, regarding design choices, if you can
generate enough excitement in the global internet-connected "game
space",  you can promote competition among teams whose members have
chosen different design approaches.

I hope this doesn't offend your dedication to open-source values.

"I don't have time to bleed."

Best, Jeff Davis

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at
you, then they fight you, then you win."

                          Mahatma Gandhi