[ExI] The Parallels and Convergences: Mormon Thought and Engineering Vision Conference

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Mar 24 23:41:29 UTC 2009

At 05:17 PM 3/24/2009 -0600, Brent wrote:

>religious people, for the first time, not waiting for God to reveal
>everything and / or come down and save them, bet getting involved
>and engineering heaven for themselves, all according to their now
>progressing faith and hopes that grew out of their great legacy.

This is an encouraging development, but one I would hope is a
transitional stage leading to escape from the bogosity intrinsic to
all theistic religions (however admirable many of their adherents). I
do have to ask: what is "their great legacy"? From what I've read,
their great legacy was a highly oppressive patriarchal top-down
system based on a colossal lie, with, for the longest time, racist
exclusion of blacks, sexist sequestration of women to those with most
power, followed by apparent renunciation of this unpleasantness for
purely political motives, and with lesser assaults on reason such as
the absurd concoctions concerning American prehistory and the status
of native Americans... This looks to me like a sorry legacy that
should fill adherents with shame and a wish to renounce it. So what
am I missing here? They support family life, perhaps? So does any
moral system based on empathy and common sense; I don't think any
group gets special brownie points for not beating or abandoning or
drugging their kids, murdering each other, or walking on their hind legs.

Damien Broderick