[ExI] Easter Island again

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 16:13:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> If someone came ashore with the original people who colonized the
> island with complete knowledge of modern technology, could they build
> a modern technological society from this knowledge and local
> resources?  I consider this similar in difficulty to attempting to
> build up industry on the moon.

The only way to solve this problem- that I know of- is to have that
complete knowledge and then set up the situation with a list of
resources that we know are on Easter Island. And if we're too lazy to
list out all possible resources, then we can do a simulation
environment where we have some distribution of material resources
across a geographical region, or something, and let the technology
discover some of the resources (i.e., certain spectrophotometers for
figuring out what materials are made out of or what local resources
are available, and other various methods). Is there a way to solve
this problem without that set of complete knowledge?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507