[ExI] Medical journal says Pope full of shit

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:30:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM, John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> During his first visit to Africa, the Pope told reporters that AIDS is a
> problem that "cannot be overcome by the distribution of condoms; on the
> contrary, they increase it."

That's clearly bullshit, and I'm glad he got called on it.

> The Church teaches that fidelity within heterosexual marriage and abstinence
> are the best ways to stop AIDS.

That sounds reasonable.

> The Vatican also says condoms can lead to
> risky behaviour but many contest that view.

It seems pretty obvious that if condoms can prevent AIDS that they
will be used to engage in "risky behaviour", presumably to diminish
risk.

> Health experts say there is no scientific evidence showing that condom use
> spurs people to take more sexual risks and in fact studies show that condom
> use reduces the risk of acquiring HIV infection.

I'd say that having intercourse with someone who has AIDS is "risky
behaviour" even if a condom is being used. Just because condoms *can*
prevent AIDS doesn't mean they *will* prevent AIDS *every* time.
Condoms do break.

-Dave