[ExI] The sky is falling!

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 03:59:25 UTC 2009

2009/3/28 Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>:

> ### Of course most of them believe it's real but this is not the
> exclusive or main reason why they attend and pay. AFAIK (I may be
> wrong, since this is alien thought-space for me) they want a
> "spiritual experience", in addition to the social context. Also, the
> payoff is a matter of faith, as any real Christian would tell you, not
> a reasoned expectation,

They say that but it doesn't make any sense to me. People believe in
their religion because they are convinced by the evidence: they read
the book, listen to the religious leaders, and they find reason to
trust them, much as they find reason to trust their family and
friends. No-one comes out and says, Obviously this is all crap, but
I'm going to believe it anyway.

> and this differs greatly from buying oil
> futures where expectations are based on previously gathered
> empirically observable data in the form of money in your account and
> in the accounts of other traders.

It still amounts to an argument that the belief the world votes for is
probably the correct belief, which I don't think you really agree
with.

--
Stathis Papaioannou