[ExI] To Arms!

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:40:29 UTC 2009

2009/3/30 Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com>:

> Indeed it would. Other non-assimilatable groups around
> the world would get very nervous, and very soon.
>
> I say "good"! Assimilate or else!

Where I live the policy of assimilation was officially replaced by a
policy of multiculturalism in the 1970's (the record is not always so
good: look up "white Australia policy", "stolen generation", and
"mandatory detention"). It has worked very well, and I have never felt
unwelcome, let alone unsafe, in any part of Melbourne due to the
presence of a large ethnic minority (or in some cases, majority)
population: South-East Asian, Middle Eastern, East African, Southern
European. So at least with the Australian example, it has been shown
that assimilation is not the only way to build peaceful and harmonious
communities.

--
Stathis Papaioannou