[ExI] anti-capitalist propaganda, was: retrainability of plebeians

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Mon May 11 21:10:00 UTC 2009

Il 11/05/2009 17.12, Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:

> However, the more interesting point you make is that Obama did not
> work hard for his money. I am surprised that as a supporter of
> capitalism you would hold this against him. As I said in a previous
> post, a definition of capitalist success could be making more and more
> money while doing less and less work.

This is not a possible definition of "Capitalist Success".
This could be a definition of "Aristocratic Success" or "Political
Success" or a definition of "Criminal Success".
But I doubt that there is something like "making more money doing less
work."

In your example about Mr. Buffett, you imply that the work done by him
could be done by any plumber or farmer with a minimum training. If it
was so, there would be many Warren Buffett and Mr. Buffett would not be
so special or rich.

So, we can suppose that Mr. Buffett is doing something that not all
people are able to do at his level of skill. And his earnings reflect
how much he is able to produce for his investors.

But to help you, I propose another way to classify "capitalist success":
"doing the most requested works with the minimum efforts", with "most
requested" defined by how much people is willing to pay for.
Usually, to do a work with the minimum effort the capitalist use his
capital.

For example, Robinson Crosue on his island could have invested his
leisure time to build a stick and a basket, so he could be able to
gather more berries and keep them. Having a better berries production
line would have enabled him to commerce with a hunter for game with
greater profits for himself and the hunter.
Now, Crosue had a competitor for the commerce of berries with the hunter
but the competitor is not willing or able to invest his leisure time to
build his basket and his stick and compete on the same level with
Crusoe. Do this fact cause Crusoe to do "less work for more game"?
I think not. He is doing more work with less efforts.

Mirco