[ExI] Advocacy and libertarian optimism/was Re: The Circle of Coercion

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed May 13 13:42:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM,  <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, I do think one ought to "outright advocate eventual positions."

So do I. In fact, lawyers can well be biased in favour of the
adversarial system as a way to approximate the "truth" or what might
be the most reasonable solution in given circumstances, but if, say,
neoluddite plead for neoluddite positions and transhumanists plead
for... a compromise between neoluddite and transhumanist positions, it
quickly becomes a fractal exercise where the second stance become more
and more elusive to identify for the "public".

A "public" which may well include ourselves when we are in our
"citizens'" capacity, and not in that of groups which (should) have
for mission that of presenting the case for technology, posthuman
change, etc., rather than that of mediating between neoluddite
arguments, precautionary arguments, moderation arguments and... whom?
what?

--
Stefano Vaj