[ExI] Szent-Gyorgyi's Definition of Life

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Fri May 15 22:26:07 UTC 2009

In looking at the various areas of biotechnological design/art and the
subsets as suggested by Pier Luigi Capucci (with whom I share some
common ground); I came across mention of Albert Szent-Gyorgyi.

Szent-Gyorgyi is a Hungarian chemist who won the Nobel Price for
medicine in 1937.  He provided an interesting inorganic definition of
life: "Life is nothing more than an electron in search of a place in
which to stop".

What I like about this definition, however sing-song, is that it
suggests personal existence does not stop at biology.  But how
accurate is it?

Thoughts?

Natasha