[ExI] Once again: Some vitamins don't help in large doses

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 17:08:41 UTC 2009

2009/5/15 Michael LaTorra <mlatorra at gmail.com>:
> Please don't try to squeeze me into the box of simple opposition to all
> supplements. What I am arguing is that too many people are wasting too much
> money on supplements that have not been proven to have any value.
>
> But the history of discussion of this topic has shown that most people who
> care enough to post about it do not really believe in the scientific method
> as much as they claim to.
>
> Am I being too harsh? I don't believe so.
>
> Consider this: How much money would you -- this means YOU, dear reader,
> whoever you are -- save each year if you only bought a simple one-per-day
> multivitamin and perhaps some Omega-3 capsules?
>
> If you are like I was from the 1970s through the 1990s, you would save on
> the order of $300 to $1,200 per year.
>
> What could you do with that kind of money?

I try a supplement for a few days or weeks and notice if it had any
impact.  That's about as scientific as I can be.  I am unsure what
long-term effects there are for hyped supplements because I am
skeptical about spending money for no perceptible value.

That saved $1200 per year should go back into buying quality food.
Fresh ingredients cost more than processed foodlike substances - but
you get the nutrition that you pay for.  High performance cars
'require' high-octane fuel; if you want a high performance machine you
should expect to pay for high quality fuel.