[ExI] Gradual Extinction of Slavery

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri May 22 21:58:28 UTC 2009

Mirco wrote (in The Rationality of Belief is Relative 8:33AM)

painlord2k at libero.it wrote:

>> Prior to the last five or six
>> hundred years, there were only a few people
>> who had much sympathy at all for slaves, (I
>> mean beyond the natural human empathy we all
>> have for some of those not as well off), and
>> vanishingly few who looked at it as immoral...
>
> I would contest that "few people".
> Slavery was near completely eradicated
 > by the customs of Europe around
> the XI century. It lasted only around
 > the bleeding borders with another
> civilization that finds nothing
 > unnatural with slavery.

Do you know why, about a millenium ago, slavery
in Europe gradually ceased? (I do believe, from
a book I'm reading "The Discovery of Mankind",
that contrary to the stereotype, the Catholic
Church's behavior really was strongly affected
(sometimes) by its highly theoretical doctrines,
even if this meant less power. Perhaps this is
why?)

(Evidently slavery was also slated for extinction
in the U.S., probably by the end of the 19th
century, but there only for purely economic
reasons.)

Or were the reasons not connected to the Church?

Lee