[ExI] "meat"

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sun May 24 18:55:05 UTC 2009

Damien wrote:
> >Hmmm, "flesh" sounds a bit...biblical.  How about protoplasm?  Carbon
> >tissue?
>
>What's wrong with any of the words people have always used, such as
>"body"?

"Body" isn't parallel, since it refers to a complete fleshy entity,
unlike "meat" or "flesh" which refer to the substance without
necessarily referring to a whole being. Also, it seems to be fine to
refer to a "robot body", so "body" doesn't have the required specificity.

>but
>don't you suppose people would find it rather... creepy... if someone
>referred to a child or spouse as "the meat"? "I have to leave work
>early today to pick up the meat from school."

Surely it would be appropriate to say: "I have to leave for work
early today to pick up the mini-meat from school."

Max