[ExI] "meat"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon May 25 17:35:48 UTC 2009

At 12:08 PM 5/25/2009 -0400, Harvey wrote:

>those who fear uploading and wish to remain in their bodies are
>terrified when transhumanists refer to their bodies as "meat". To
>them, it is the same as if we referred to them as "spare parts",
>"pre-amputated flesh", or "chaff" to be thrown away.  This term
>actually implies a starting point of belittlement and an ending
>point of physical destruction.

Indeed. But not only to those who are "terrified." Ayn Rand, for
example, made it clear repeatedly that she despised those who attempt
to distance or detach the mind or "soul" from the sensuous body.
(This is not an appeal to authority, just to consistency from the
many ExI posters who usually approve Rand's approach to life.)

But, as Harvey notes, why stop at "meat"? How about "putrid slime" or
"shit"? You think this is wild, gratuitous rhetoric? That kind of
rhetoric has been around for a long time and, pace Lee, not only in
Catholicism. Here's a Talmudic text:

"Akabaya Ben Mahalalel says, 'Whence thou art come?' From a putrid
drop." Pirke Abot, the Wisdom of the Fathers.

Damien Broderick