[ExI] Fwd: CrossFit picks up the WSJ article

Sun May 31 00:47:16 UTC 2009

On May 29, 2:22 am, Scott Kerr <uwsk... at gmail.com> wrote:
> it seems there could be a simple
> conclusion, such as: several body types exist and these process food
> differently with different effects; or, it doesn't matter what anyone
> eats as long as it's not gorging

Believe it or not, most data shows little variation between humans.  I know
people stress different body types and genetic differences.  But most of
these have a statistically "significant" effect of a few percent.  Basic
diet and exercise account for most body changes, and far out-weight these
other so-called differences.

My theory on why so many different diets work, is that any diet is better
than random eating.  Most people eat whatever they feel like, and don't
realize how much junk and how many total calories they eat.  Switching to
any diet (high fat, high carb, high protein, low fat, low carb, or low
protein) will greatly reduce your food choices.  Besides having less choice
and probably eating less because of it, the dieter will also start paying
attention to what they are eating, and probably make better choices.  So
virtually any diet that is planned is better than any random unplanned diet.

My other theory on diets is that most of them are bunk.  The list I gave
before (high fat, high carb, high protein, low fat, low carb, or low
protein) are all bogus.  There are good carbs and bad carbs.  There are good
fats and bad fats.  There are probably good proteins and bad proteins. (Or
if not pure proteins, proteins often come mixed with other good and bad
macronutrients).  One has to distinguish between the good and bad to
increase the good and decrease the bad.  It makes no sense to increase or
decrease total amounts, if one doesn't distinguish whether one is adjusting
the good or the bad.  This is the major flaw with most diet theories, and is
a major flaw with many experiments as well.

It also makes no sense to focus on one macronutrient while ignoring the
others.  One has to increase good fats, increase good carbs, increase good
proteins, while decreasing bad fats, decreasing bad carbs, and decreasing
bad proteins.  This is basic biochemistry for human nutrition.  And it is
the same for all humans.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>