[ExI] R: syllogistic units and other stuff

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sun Nov 1 07:10:46 UTC 2009

> Seriously though, what do you all think?

Not sure I understand, but it seems to be
a "relational" approach. Try, i.e., Rovelli
here http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.3832

s.

"Indeed, for me the most important idea behind the developments of twentieth-
century physics
and cosmology is that things don't have intrinsic properties at the
fundamental level; all properties
are about relations between things. This idea is the basic idea behind
Einstein's general theory
of relativity, but it has a longer history; it goes back at least to the
seventeenth-century philosopher
Leibniz, who opposed Newton's ideas of space and time because Newton took
space and time
to exist absolutely, while Leibniz wanted to understand them as arising only
as aspects of the
relations among things. For me, this fight between those who want the world
to be made out of
absolute entities and those who want it to be made only out of relations is a
key theme in the
story of the development of modern physics. Moreover, I'm partial. I think
Leibniz and the
relationalists were right, and that what's happening now in science can be
understood as their triumph."
-Lee Smolin