[ExI] Is unemployment the future?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 3 13:08:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:49:54PM +0100, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> Mmhhh, technology has been evolving for quite a long time now.

That statement, while true, is not very interesting.

> I do not see a very obvious trend where "unemployment" has been steadily and

You do not see much change between ~1960 and ~2010, in Europe/North America?

> permanently growing alongside, in proportion to local and historical
> technological advances.

> Of course, the way we currently employ our time could have looked pretty
> weird to our remote predecessors.

No need to invoke the remote past. Reshovelling of high-skill
jobs into low-skill service serf economy and the rise of precariate
looks pretty weird to me.

Something needs to be done about this, and fast.