[ExI] Is unemployment the future?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:15:20 UTC 2009

2009/11/3 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
> How many job openings in the US are left in engineering (and I mean real
> engineering, not inflationary-engineering like networking engineer or
> software engineer)?

Sorry if I am pestering you, but I think it is at least equally
plausible to see things the other way around. Engineering is declining
in Europe because cultural values dictate that you should be instead a
banker, a lawyer or a consultant.

And the view is widespread that a society can live perfectly well by
simply selling financial and commercial services to one another.

As a consequence, economy (and technological innovation!) slow down.
This in turn creates unemployment. And ultimately poverty, for that
matter. Not that this makes any easier to find a good butler or
lute-maker, eg, even though in such jobs technology remains largely
irrelevant.

--
Stefano Vaj