[ExI] Is unemployment the future?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 08:31:47 UTC 2009

2009/11/5 JOSHUA JOB <nanite1018 at gmail.com>:
> Work is the means to survival. You have to produce values of some kind
> (almost always material values, in some manner, in most sectors of the
> economy) in order to survive. So having a desire to be productive (i.e. a
> work ethic) is a good thing.

Yes. But I think a great deal of discussion may confuse work with
employment in the sense of being employed by Ford or IBM and getting a
salary at the end of the month, the framework of a more or less
declining capitalist society.

Now, it is perfectly possible that unemployment is growing in the
second sense in the US and Europe, even though it may depend on an
economic scenario of which technological stagnation and ignorance, as
opposed to developments, is an ingredient; and has little to do with
an abundance of offer (large-scale mass immigration, as the modern
version of slave trade, is, e.g., often justified with the
insufficient availability of semi-skilled manpower).

As to "work" in general, I think that competition for scarce resources
and trade thereof are going to stay, so that most of us will continue
to be involved in all that one way or another. Even though the
resources that are scarce are of course going to change with time, in
the long term possibly for the best.

--
Stefano Vaj