[ExI] The Myth of Stagnation

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 8 23:19:11 UTC 2009

Max, I applaud any work that name-checks obscure works by Karel Capek I haven't read. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy in English to buy on Amazon and when I try searching online, I get directed to a mis-labelled copy of "The Golden Remains of the Ever-Memorable Mr. John Hales of Eton College". Oh well, looks like I'll have to try seeing if my mind can be broadened through listening to Janacek's operatic version.

A question - have you actually read Capek's original, or are you just quoting it because Bernard Williams essay named after it is a famous philosophical treatment of immortality?

Tom Nowell (who now wants to go raid his sister's bookshelf for the copy of "War with the Newts)